Moving takes a toll physically and emotionally on all of us. Not only is the process itself exhausting, but finding yourself in a new environment can force an uncomfortable adjustment period. The same goes for pets, and communicating the change as a positive to them can be difficult.
So my brother-in-law got a dog when he was still in college and he has made many moves (including cross country) with him over the years. Now that his dog is also part of the equation it's become an even bigger production.
In order to make moving as easy a transition as possible, try to keep the focus on making it a positive experience and taking little steps to help them acclimate.
Here are some ideas to make moving easy on your critter friends:
1. If possible, visit the new home and neighborhood with them prior to moving in, allowing them plenty of time to sniff around and familiarize themselves with it.
2. Try to avoid having them present for the final packing stages and when everything is taken out. He started leaving his pup with a friend on the actual moving day because watching everything being carried out would send her into a near panic.
3. Pack their toys, bowls and bed separately and put them out before you bring the dog in. Being able to quickly identify their things amongst the boxes puts them at ease and signifies that they are at home.
4. Bribe them. His go-to strategy is to buy a few new toys and something for the dogs to chew on, in order to distract them, get out some nervous energy and create a positive experience. They bring out the new toys almost immediately after walking through the door.
5. Tire them out. Once your dogs have spent a bit of time exploring their new surroundings, take them for a good long walk around the neighborhood to burn off some of their nervous energy and help them relax when they get back to their new home.
About Keller Williams Marketplace - Brenkus Realty Network
Rick and Teri Have been top producers for over 30 years in the Southern Nevada and have been ranked in the top 50 agents in the US by the Wall Street Journal out of over 1.3 million agents. They have sold over 7,000 homes in both stable and challenging markets. Their strategies and incredible systems to represent buyers and sellers can not be matched! Sellers enjoy netting top dollar in the least amount of time with their massive marketing and ability to stay ahead of the curve! This Top Producing Team has consistently been in the top 1% of agents Nationally for the last 30 years. They are national speakers and are highly sought after by many who want to get to the next level in their business. They also serve on Professional Standards at the Greater Las Vegas Association of Realtors and are Senior Faculty Instructors. Their list of credentials are endless!
Before you make any decision to Buy, Sell or Invest in Real Estate, be learning based and discover all the benefits, strategies and techniques Rick and Teri Brenkus offer to their clients..... You will be glad you did!!! 702-456-5959
There is no other place like Las Vegas. Not only is it a thriving cit
"We were weary of selling our home in the Vegas valley with someone we had only recently heard of. But the Brenkus Team was professional and helpful throughout the whole process. They were there for my and my families interest. I could not ask for a better group to represent us. They had no hidden fees or cost and honest. Something lacking in the Vegas valley."